Friday, January 4, 2008

Where did my newborn go?

The other day I packed away Jack's 0-3 month clothing. I really should pack away his 3-6 month clothes but some still fit him. Jack was watching the whole process in his bouncy chair (not much bouncing is going on with his eighteen pound frame :) I kept showing him his newborn clothes and holding them up to him. It's hard to remember him being that little. I asked Jack if he remembered being that little, and he just smiled at me and chewed on one of the outfits. On one hand I'm glad he's growing so well, but another part of me is saddend by the idea that he will never be a newborn again. The bigger he gets the harder it will be for me to remember those first days.

Then another thought ocurred to me. What if I never have another little boy? What if I'll never use all these precious clothes again? That seemed more depressing than the fact that Jack had outgrown them.

So many people tell me to savor these moments and not spend all my time obsessing over teaching Jack tricks like sitting-up, crawling, etc. I have taken their advice. We practice those things from time to time, but I'm not in a rush. It's hard enough to remember each stage as it is; they go by so quickly. Like pictures and videos, this blog helps me retain these moments. Each one is very precious.

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." -Thoreau

1 comments:

Ghost Writer said...

We were just talking last night about how to make our blog a more permanent-type scrapbook for Will. I guess it's the English nerd in me, but I like the permanence of paper. Considering the internet was in its infancy (for the general public) when I started college, I would just feel better having something concrete to hand to him.

We are now on our second go-round of packing away clothes. We've also packed away the bassinet, his swing, his infant tub, the bouncy chair, and the Bumbo. Sigh...and the chances we'll ever have another are probably pretty slim, but I am keeping it all, hopeful that lightning will strike twice.

It's such a hard balance to find, isn't it? You love to see them accomplish new things and see those lights turn on as new things are understood, but you also need to enjoy each stage as it comes because they go by so fast.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker