Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Let Sleeping Babies Lie?

Recently several of my friends and family have been doing this blogging thing. I have hesitated because, knowing my insane procrastination abilities, I've been afraid to get anything started that I may not finish. Then I thought, "Get over yourself. It's just a blog." So this is my official blog about my little guy, Jack, born August 9th of this year. I thought this would be a great way to share not only great events in Jackland but also my concerns about being a first time mom. So drum roll please....

I'm finally getting around to finishing this blog. Whew, motherhood is a busy career! I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, our new development is that Jack can now flip over. This has been bittersweet.
Of course, I'm thrilled that my baby is thriving and learning new things; however, we've worked too hard to get this sleep thing down. Now we've hit a bump. Jack likes to flip himself over at bedtime and scream.

Tonight I tried this graduated extinction method (basically I come in and check on him but I don't pick him up). Needless to say, I'm in tears and feeling very low. The whole process took thirty minutes. He is now resting peacefully. He basically has learn to put himself to sleep. I know this is just a taste of times to come. Learning is sometimes difficult and scary and I'm doing him no favors by rushing in to dry his tears. So for now I'll be waiting in the other room, broken hearted, knowing it's for the best. I'm sure I'll be doing much more of this in the future (esp. during the teenage years). The first night I put him in his crib and he drifts off on his own I'll be so proud of both of us.

0 comments:

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker